Lime’n Lentil Soup aka Lime Rasam
You will find a lot of soups in this blog..what can I say… I love them! They’re a comforting one pot meal, warming you up and keeping you cozy. Its a completely satisfying meal. This soup could be a meal or a starter. It wakes up your tastebuds with its flavors. I’ve never really made Lemon Rasam, but remember it as a milder rasam, with little or no lentils. This is my version….
What You Need
- 1 Tsp cooking oil
- 1/2 Tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 Tsp cumin
- 1/2 Tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Asafoetida
- 1/2 Tsp turmeric
- A couple of curry leaves
- 1/4 bunch of cilantro
- 1 Clove of garlic
- 1/2 cm Ginger slice
- 1 Serrano pepper
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Cup cooked yellow split peas (Tual Dal)
- Cumin powder
- Coriander powder
- 4 Cups of water
- Juice of 2.5 lime
- Zest of 2 limes
- Salt and Pepper
How Its Done
- Chop the cilantro, stem and all. Also mince the ginger (cut into very small pieces), and the dice the tomato.
- Heat the oil in a sauce pan and add the mustard. When the mustard starts spluttering, add the rest spices 3-7 and toast till a nutty smell fills the room.
- Add the garlic, cilantro and slit serrano pepper and toast for half a minute. Add the tomatoes and cook till they soften.
- Add the cumin and coriander powder and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the cooked split peas ( mashed), water, salt and pepper, as well as the lime zest and let it come to a boil.
- Add the lime juice. Taste for seasoning and adjust to your taste. Serve hot as a soup or with rice.
I almost didn’t take any photos of this one…remembered as my bowl was almost empty! The tangy lime brings out the slight heat from the serrano pepper. The lentils make it filling,but could be optional. You could also add some cooked rice to the soup, making it a complete one-pot meal. Its a comforting soup and some extra pepper will make it a perfect cold remedy! Enjoy!