Masala Muffin Vadai
One of my favorite snacks from Tamilnadu is Masala Vadai- its always a treat and something I eat when I’m really letting go and “pigging out”. So, in order to be able to eat it more frequently, I needed to come up with a healthy way of making them. After thinking about it for a very long time, I took the plunge yesterday. I needed some fat in the vadai to maintain its integrity and thought of using Flax seeds and Olive oil for their good fat content. I think sesame oil would also work.
What You Need
- 1 Cup chana dal
- 1/2 a medium sized onion
- 2-3 green chillies
- 1/2 inch piece of ginger (optional)
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp Flax seeds
- 1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
How Its Done
- Soak the Chana dal in warm water for about 20 minutes. I rinsed and put the dal in a microwave safe bowl and filled it with enough water to cover the dal. Then heated it for a minute or so till the water heats through and let it soak for about 20 minutes
- After 20 minutes, pre-heat the oven to 350° F.
- Drain the water from the chana and coarsely grind with chopped chillies, ginger and flax seeds. Make sure the dough is thick with very little moisture (add moisture only to make sure your processor runs).
- Mix in the salt, baking powder, olive oil, chopped onions, and curry leaves (coarsely torn by hand).
- Prepare a muffin tin with non-stick spray and spoon the mixture into the cavities, filling them 3/4 way up.
- Bake for 45 minutes till the tops are golden brown.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes before taking them out of the muffin tray.
To make them crispy and crunchy (and if you have the time) make patties out of the dough and lay them on a pre-prepared pizza pan. Half way through the cooking time flip them over. Pizza pans have the little holes that prevent moisture from accumulating ensuring that your vadas will be crispy and crunchy!!