Green Garbanzo and Radish Salad
I know there seems to be a theme with my blog these days..soups and salads! What can I say, some ingredients just beg a certain preparation to bring out their best! Frozen Green garbanzo was a discovery at the Indian store a couple of weeks ago. It made me curious. Of course, we’ve all had garbanzo beans, wonder what green garbanzo tastes like? Does it take time to cook? How will it taste? It cooks in a few minutes in the microwave and are crunchy in texture. They’re packed with nutrition as you can see here, a great source of protein, especially if you’re a vegetarian. I wanted to taste garbanzo like it is and so I decided to make this salad, south indian style.
What You Need
- 1 Pkt Frozen Garbanzo Beans
- 6 small radishes
- 1/2 Yellow Bell pepper
- 2 Tbslp chopped cilantro
- 1/2 a serrano pepper
- 1 Tbslsp oil
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Juice of a lime
- Salt and pepper
How its Done
- Rinse the garbanzo beans in cold water and cook in the microwave for 4-5 minutes with a little salt, till done (beans will be crunchy, but cooked)
- Dice the radishes and the bell pepper; Add to the garbanzo beans
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. When the seeds start spluttering, add the asafoetida (optional, but it adds flavor and really helps the digestive process with legumes and beans)
- Add the flavored oil to the vegetables, add salt and fresh ground pepper, minced serrano, cilantro, lime juice and mix it all together. Let sit for 15 minutes before serving.
Serve chilled or at room temperature. The salad is crunchy and refreshing and goes really well with spicy food. Just the colors in this salad will make you want to eat it all up! The crunchy garbanzo and radish with the sweet peppers are another reason.